Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4, The middle of the week.

I was going to say "First and Foremost" but it occurred to me that it was something we've caught onto, that is really just bad grammar disguised as something fancy to say. Foremost means first in place, order, rank, etc.

Foremost, happy Hump day! I hope everyone is still energized and refreshed! If not, then you should try doing some exercise, meditation, or a combination of both(yoga). 

A very good friend of mine told me today that he had a gift for me. In his chat box appeared a link to a very "short and sweet book that would help me with my process of bettering myself." The book is "As You Think" by  James Allen. 

A little excerpt to get you interested:
"Thought in the mind hath made us.
What we are by thought was wrought and built.
If a man’s mind hath evil thoughts,
pain comes on him as comes the wheel the ox behind.
If one endure in purity of thought,
Joy follows him as his own shadow—sure."

After reading I was scared to look back and examine my thoughts because they were responsible for all my actions. I stopped blaming my surroundings, and instead began to look for the ill minded thoughts that have led my worst and ugliest actions within the last few months." A person does not 
come to the welfare office or the jail by a chance of fate or circumstance, 
but by the pathway of negative thoughts and base desires. Nor does 
a pure-minded person fall suddenly into crime by stress of any mere 
external force. The criminal thought had long been secretly fostered 
in the heart, and the hour of opportunity revealed its gathered power"-Allen

It is important to acknowledge that when we are going through tough times we can have one of two mindsets: positive or negative. With a positive mindset everything is feasible. We are more likely to disregard negative energy, and only focus on the good that surrounds our lives. During this time all is good. Although I have tried to never ever enter a negative mindset, it happens. When it does, I try to focus on the little things. The little things that are going for me usually help me get out of my negative mindset. The negative mindset is depressive. It blocks all my creativity, and takes away all my energy. I am unable to be productive during this period. Therefore i try to abandon this state of mind ASAP."Good thoughts bear good fruit, bad thoughts bad fruit."-James Allen

I want to say goodbye with a random thought, and i hope most of you reading this share your opinion about it. 
Do you think people enjoy abstraction, "trippy" images, and/or words of intoxicated human beings because they get a sense of what it is to be intoxicated without doing any harm to their bodies? Or maybe it is the art of seeing something different without having to participate in any recreational drugs which are usually frowned upon by society.I really dont know, but I would love to read what you guys think.

1 comment:

  1. This James Allen sounds like a precursor to Ayn Rand. Belief in libertarian free will is not only unrealistic but also oppressive. One's "fate" can't only be determined by ones thoughts. Genetics, epigenetics, cultural upbringing, socioeconomic conditions are all obvious factors that shape one's life, much less their thoughts. The self-help industry, of which Allen was a pioneer, makes money by giving people ill-founded hope in the power of their minds and quick fixes.

    See:
    http://www.naturalism.org/tenetsof.htm

    http://www.naturalism.org/resource.htm#Encounter

    http://www.naturalism.org/conseque.htm

    ReplyDelete